Thursday, December 18, 2008

The Birthday Surprised continue

Now that its over, I don't mind telling everyone that my birthday is on Dec 16. Before hand, though, I tried not to talk about it, you know, in hopes that people would forget. Its my thought though, that because my birthday is so close to Christmas, and people are so energized at that time of the season, my birthday is rarely forgotten.

As always I need to give you a little history... I am somewhat controlling and delegate when needed. A few years ago, on a special "Hat Day" celebration at school, I forgot to bring in a hat to wear. Nancy I. made me a wonderful cardboard crown. Me, wearing a crown, caused a lot of commotion in the school. Both students and teachers began calling me the Queen... and you know what it stuck... and I liked it... it was so fun.... Gifts for special occasions began to steer towards royal objects... Tiara's , bling, etc. I used to randomly wear my crown when the moment struck me. But is sort of got to be too much and I have tried for the past 5 years to stifle the title. All my royal objects have been put away (ok, except my favorite tiara) and I corrected people who called me the queen). I was 50% successful and it was dying out... until.. today.

I have participated in more than my share of birthday pranks and began to realize that I would pay the price on my next "big" one. So, I totally tried to stay innocent for the past year or so. But I knew that they would get me.. I wasn't sure what it would be.. but I figured my desk would be covered in balloons.. or banners.. big "50"s. My birthday was on Tuesday. So on the weekend, I made up signs that described the 11 different ways to say "revenge". I planned to tape them to the desk on Monday night.... in hopes of deterring any tampering. Monday morning I arrived at work, armed with my signs and some funny "threats" written up on post its... ready for the end of the day. As I turned the corner to my office.. the BIG "5 0" was on the window... and then I saw the throne... then the big sign... The crowd at the office were all wearing tiaras which always got a reaction from me.. cause I am usually the only one who is allowed to wear them! And then.. the outfit was waiting for me and my wand... and scepter..
The castle cake made by Debbie P. Not only was it creative and beautiful but very yummy. So moist and the icing was delicious. (this is Cake number two) My day was filled with laughter and visits from all the students and I was sung to in French and English and two classes did the big countdown.. you know the one.. "Are ya 1, are ya 2, are ya 3, are ya 4, are ya 5.... when they got to 37, I yelled YES... they just kept going... I tried again at 44.. "are ya 44?"... YES YES ... they ignored me... are ya 45... are ya 46.. are ya 47, ................. and finally are ya 50.. to which I yelled and jumped up and down.. Yes yes yes...

I received hand drawn booklets filled with things like "What I wish for you today on your birthday".. another was "What a Queen should do"...... several classes worth of cards and even the cutest little cake... adorned with 50 large candles. A large card with an awesome poem and 50 Queen Bee's on it... along with 50 helping hands filled with things a Queen would use...

Although it was my birthday, I still had to work.. so I held up my little cake with the 50 candles why I answered phones. Notice the 50 cupcakes we got delivered as well..

So, this little cake was the cutest thing i have ever seen.. just crowded with big fat candles. We watched it slowly crush under the weight of the candles over the day.. (cake number 3)




By the end of the day, one half of the candles slid off the cake.. too much weight I think. We finally put it out of its misery by eating it for coffee break the next day...
So that was my day... I was looking forward to a quiet night at home.. and early to bed! Tomorrow, i will send along some pictures of what I had to face when I got home!

3 comments:

GailM. said...

OMG, that is too cute. I love the big candles....and how they are slumping over.... sorta fitting for a 50 year old... I can't wait to see pictures of when you got home...

cpm said...

What a super fun day! You deserve it ALL! Now I going to go press "publish" on my blog!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Baby!!!
KofO