Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Snow Day Joy

Yup... a snow day. Which means no school for most... and although I am suppose to work during cancelled school days due to snow.... I also have some "flex" time that I can use... if I choose... on these days. Some days I choose to go (and have the most productive work days ever!)... and others, like today... I choose to stay home and get tons of stuff done.

My normal day starts at 5:55am when the alarm goes off and I listen to the 5 minute news just before 6. When the weather is bad and schools are cancelled, it use to be that during the news or directly after the news, they announce the cancellations. But the last couple of years, they don't say a thing.... not a thing. After the news, the sports, and then the weather, there are like 3-4 songs that play while the announcer is taking a break maybe, or answering phones. Then the announcements come (or worse...don't come). That means its a crap shot for me.... do I wait... that extra 10 minutes before I get in the shower... or just get up and do it. I was pretty sure today, but Terry had been watching the weather most of the evening and was less confident (which shook my confidence a bit) but I chose to lay there and wait... and wait... and wait... and yipee. Cancelled. I don't sleep well at the best of times (still have Sonny sleeping by my ribs) and then worrying about the weather... so when school was cancelled, I thought I would enjoy an extra hour or two in bed. But not this morning... I just couldn't sleep. So it was an early start just the same. But again, more time to get stuff done.


I feel like scrapbooking and spent some of my morning, compiling pictures and flipping through scrapbooking magazines for ideas. I chatted with both Michelle and Gail on MSN and had a yummy breakfast of Egg Beaters and toast with Dad. I have emptied my "coat" closet today and have bagged two medium size bags of coats, vests, boots, hats, mitts, scarves and shoes that haven't been worn in a few years. The garbage also saw a small pile of lone mitts and unreusable (spell check didn't like that word) sandals etc.


I spent half an hour on the phone with Debbie while I made lunch for dad and I, and after hanging up, I brought dad's lunch down, ran upstairs to get my lunch, so I could join Dad in the "Price is Right". I quickly cleaned up the kitchen and put all the lunch items back into the fridge.... and that's when the day went suddenly down hill. I was reaching to put my container (tupperware) of homemade chicken cabbage soup in the fridge and the whole container slipped out of my hand and the lid slipped off and the entire pot of chunky soup spilled into the fridge, down the hinged door, between the fridge and the door, all through the fridge hinge, under the fridge, under the meat drawer, and all over the floor and hallway carpet!!!!! Needless to say, the air was BLUE... and I missed most of the Price is Right. And the soup was pretty good, made from a big stock of bones I had been saving in the freezer too....

So here I sit, writing my blog with a cup of tea and planning out my afternoon. I was going to go to work this afternoon but now I think I will stay home and get to some scrapping!

This little guy is puffed up to keep warm. Don't ya just want to put your hands around him to protect him.
Mollie and her new footwear. She likes them, but they sort of flip around on her, but at least there are black and people won't laugh at her. She does sort of look embarrassed, doesn't she.

6 comments:

cpm said...

The ENTIRE pot! Oh no! Brutal! We were just talking about that soup yesterday! :-( What a mess!
Nice to have a bonus day eh!? We played outside and had tons of fun!
and I blogged too!
How does your Dad like Drew as the new host of P.I.R.?

GailM. said...

I love Molly's boots. I'm sure Molly knows, but black is the in color.. Oh, I feel bad for your soup. It could have been worse and been spagetti sauce.

S said...

black is ALWAYS in. it doesn't seem to be cheering her up much, though. poor Molls... I hope she knows this means no more snowballs in her toes, because otherwise she's just going to think you're doing it to embarrass her!

Anonymous said...

Oh Man...that sucks! What a mess that would have been. I know that my air would have been "blue" as well.
Did you make Mollie's boots? If so, would you consider making a smaller pair? We spent too much $ on boots for Chico and they are a little too big...slip off at least once each walk...

SAM said...

oh tha'ts terrible...about the soup...always seems when you are in a hurry or off to do something that distaster strikes and something ends up on the floor....I exploded a whole bottle of juice in my kitchen a few months ago..I swear every once in a while I still find a sticky spot!! and I swear I cleaned for an hour! Love mollys boots.....but you are right she looks a bit embrassed!! Dogs are so funny

ancient one said...

Sorry about your soup.